Hey Welcome to my Blog! Take a look around and I hope you enjoy! Also I would love it if you Followed me!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Book Review: The Giver

I have been thinking about not including the Book review banner from now on so you can see the book itself first, what do you think. Please tell me if I should keep the banner or get rid of it.

The Giver (The Giver, #1)

Summary On Back: Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person id assigned a role in the community.

When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasures of life. Now it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back. 

Reason for Reading: I have had this book since fifth grade. I am trying to go through my bookshelves to read what I haven't read yet but have. Plus I have heard a lot of great things about it, so I was like sure I'll give it a try.

Rating: 5

Review:
The Storyline- Ok so it was very creative how the author came up with "sameness" and the assignments (jobs). It is awesome how this book is a dystopia before it was even a genera. In the beginning the society seemed good and nice, like a utopia. Then once Jonas starts his training with  the giver, you realize things about the community that just seem sad and awful. The people in this community have no emotions, they see in black and white, and they can't feel pain. 
The Writing- It is extremely well written. It is meant for children but the story has deeper meanings that is perfect for any age, even if you are fourteen like me. It is rich with lots of detail that tells you so much about the way the people in the community live. Some people might find all the detail boring but I find really interesting.
The Ending- It seemed finished but yet you want to know more. It wouldn't fit the story in the same way if it keeps on talking about Jonas after this but it ends kin of abruptly. All the readers can hope is that Jonas finds what he was looking for. 

Do you like my new way of doing reviews please tell me your thoughts so I can keep improving my blog.
Hope everyone is having a good week :D
-Jane

2 comments:

  1. I need to get this book. Like ASAP! I haven't read a GOOD dystopian and hopefully this book will convince me. There is a sequel or the next in a series called Gathering Blue sent in the same setting I recall. Anyways, the new format is much clean and you get the points across. Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up getting this book I hope you enjoy it.
      Thanks, I want people to be able to read my reviews and have them make sense so I am not just constantly jump around.
      -Jane

      Delete