Hey Welcome to my Blog! Take a look around and I hope you enjoy! Also I would love it if you Followed me!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review: The Book Thief

By: Markus Zusak
Pages: 550
Published: March 14, 2006

Summary: It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.
By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.
But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down.


Note: I gave this book to my friend for Christmas so she read it as well and is co-reviewing with me. The first review will be mine then her's.

Jane's Rating: 4.5

Jane's Review: This book is different from almost any other book I have ever read. It seems like a book I would read for school. It took me five or six days to read the whole book which is longer than it takes me for most books. I think it is a deeper book that needs to be thought about. It's not just a light book that people would read that would make people super happy and cheerful. This book is narrated by death. It adds character to the book and make it very unique. How many books do you know are narrated by death?

The character's are amazing! Each have there own personality and are all very different. Liesel Meminger is the main character and is the book thief. You follow Liesel as she learns to read and as she gets books. Rosa Hubermann seems mean like she doesn't care about Liesel. Over time you realize how much she did care, she just has an odd way of showing it. Hans Hubermann is her accordion playing foster father. He teaches Liesel to read and is always there for her. Rudy, I loved Rudy, in the begining of the book he is such a kid and you get to see him grow up a tiny bit. He was funny and always made everything fun.

The writing is superb. It is different than a lot of other books but it was perfect. I savoured the entire book. My only problem was the constant swearing but besides that it was perfect.

It was an instant favourite. I recommend this to anyone who will appreciate it.

Jo's Rating: 5

Jo's Review: Today, I discovered the power of words. In The Book Thief the power is prominent.

Set in Nazi Germany, at the start of World War II, Liesel rides a train, to a new future. With a cough, her brother dies; the train stops. Her Liesel and her mother step out; the next day, they bury him. This is when she steals her first book, The Grave Digger’s Handbook. Even though she cannot read, this book symbolizes the last time she sees her brother, as well as her mother. Liesel and her mother get onto another train and travel to the city of Munich, Germany. With her mother not being able to support her, Liesel is sent off with new foster parents, Rosa and Hans Hubermann. Life is difficult at first. Rosa is a woman who will insult you any chance she gets. Liesel has nightmares over the death of her brother.In this, she finds her first friend, Hans. Hans teaches her to read slowly, and Liesel learns of a world where the Jews are not tolerated, and hiding them in your basement is risky.

 I personally cried at the end, and I am one like Jane. I don’t cry over books. Jane gave me this book as a gift, and it will remain one of my most cherished gifts. I was hesitant at first, as I have lately been fond of only dystopias and fantasy. This book struck a chord in my heart, and I highly recommend it. It is a 5 star book, and I’d give it 6 if I could. A book to be read over and over again, The Book Thief is a wonderful addition to any readers library.

6 comments:

  1. @Jane: Yay! You enjoyed it! I was wondering why it was 4 and a half but the swearing must have been the problem. I'm glad you loved it!

    @Jo: words are the best things in a book and how greatly they affect you! You should definitely read more genres besides Dystopian and Fantasy because then you can discover more treasures!

    Wonderful reviews, both!^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yeah it was the swearing but besides that it was an absolute favourite :D
      -Jane

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you both enjoyed this book! It's one of my favourites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a favorite of mine too. Towards the end I audibly cried noooo!! It took me awhile to stop being angry with the author. I've never been angry like that with an author before. This book took me by surprise. I'm happy that it's appreciated as much as it is. I don't remember the swearing... and I forgot about her having foster parents. I haven't read it in a while. I don't have the emotional capacity right now to read it so soon either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the ending is so sad but I am not mad at the author for it. It is a side effect of war I guess. It is wonderful.
      -Jane

      Delete