Hey Welcome to my Blog! Take a look around and I hope you enjoy! Also I would love it if you Followed me!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Book Review: The Secret Life of Bees

37435
Title: The Secret Life of Bees
Author: Sue Monk Kidd
Pages: 318
Release Date: November 8, 2001
Goodreads | Amazon

Summary: Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted black "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina--a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, and the Black Madonna. This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come.  

Rating: 2.5

Review: I read this book for English and the easiest way for me to describe it is 'I liked it'.

I enjoyed the characters and the story. I was glad I had the opportunity to read this for class because I had never heard of this book before this. I most likely would not have read this book if it were not for school. It was nice to read something different than what I usually read.

This is one of those books that I cannot say a ton of bad stuff about but I cannot say a ton of good stuff about it either. The characters were good and the plot was interesting and I wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters but it lacked something. <--wish I could explain that something better.

The writing was good and beautiful and I love reading all the metaphors.

I am so sorry that I could not describe this book better/ more. I hope you were able to still get something out of my review, if not go read some reviews on Goodreads (^I've linked the book to goodreads above). I still suggest you read it, it is quite good.

DFTBA
-Janussa

1 comment:

  1. I've never read the Secret Life of the Bees, but I've seen it everywhere because it's so popular. It's definitely not my type of book, but I can see how you would have to read it in English.

    ReplyDelete